ConAgra Foods Citizenship Commitment Recognized by Two Leading Sustainability Measures
09/13/2012 – Omaha, Neb. (Business Wire) – (NYSE: CAG), one of North America’s leading packaged food companies, today announced that it has been named to two leading sustainability indices. For the second straight year the company has earned a spot on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and for the first time, the company has been added to the Carbon Disclosure Project’s (CDP’s) 2012 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index.
“We are thrilled to be a part of these leading sustainability indices,” said Chris Kircher, vice president of corporate affairs and president of the ConAgra Foods Foundation. “Citizenship is a top priority at ConAgra Foods, as well as a core component of our strategic plan. Inclusion on these indices not only reflects our long term commitment to corporate citizenship, it also provides a valuable measure of the progress we are making on our journey.”
One of the world’s most recognized and respected sustainability indices; the DJSI is based on a rigorous analysis of corporate, economic, environmental and social performance. It tracks the performance of the top 20 percent of the biggest global companies in the Dow Jones Global Total Stock Market Index that lead the field in terms of sustainability. This year for the first time, ConAgra Foods was named to both the DJSI North America and DJSI World Indices.
The 2012 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index, a key component of CDP’s annual S&P 500 report, is comprised of 53 companies within the S&P 500 Index which have displayed a strong approach to information disclosure regarding climate change. Companies with high climate change disclosure scores reflect strong internal data management practices and a solid understanding of how climate change related issues affect the company. ConAgra Foods scored 93 of 100 and earned a “B” performance rating, representing the single-greatest improvement of all companies listed on the Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index.
Through its three-pronged corporate responsibility platform, “Good for You, Good for the Community, and Good for the Planet,” ConAgra Foods continues to gain recognition for its citizenship efforts. For example:
- ConAgra Foods won a Gold Edison Green Award in April for the company’s work with Forgotten Harvest to divert unnecessary waste and provide protein to children and families in need.
- During the company’s second annual Week of Service, March 5-10, employees nationwide rallied around the cause, volunteering more than 3,400 hours to help end child hunger in their communities. Nearly 2,000 employees packed or served 108,504 meals and donated 69,654 pounds of food to families in need.
- At ConAgra Foods’ internal 2012 Sustainable Development Awards, more than 100 projects were submitted that decreased water usage companywide by a total of 295 million gallons.
- ConAgra Foods was recognized by the Safe Quality Food Institute with its Quality Achievement Award in 2011, demonstrating the company’s commitment to food safety.
- Blue Diamond Opens Turlock Plant Nearly 300 direct and indirect jobs are expected to be created from Blue Diamond's Turlock plant.
- Cargill to Acquire Northstar Grain Company Cargill plans $3 million in upgrades to the Northstar Grain facility once the purchase is completed.
- Baskin-Robbins Launches Major Development Incentives For 2013 Baskin-Robbins is offering both franchise incentives and new store designs to attract new franchisees and develop existing relationships.
For Email Marketing you can trust